Sunday, June 21, 2009

Provo Peak, elev 11,068' Jun 2006

Since most of the snow had melted on the higher peaks, I thought that on my next day off from work, I should attempt my first 11,000er. Since Provo Peak is the closest to me, I thought I would start there.
Although eventually I would like to make an attempt from the valley floor, until I gain my hiking legs for the season, I thought I better make the attempt from the trail head off of Squaw Peak Road.
A Spring avalanche, still blocking the road, made the hike just a bit longer - about 1.2 miles longer round trip. Hiking the Squaw Peak Road, however, actually turned out to be a good warm up for what was in store for me.
About 3.9 miles from Rock Canyon Campground there is a small turnout/parking area. Across the road (to the east) is where the trail to Provo Peak starts. Although unmarked, it is impossible to miss as it actually starts as a four wheeling trail.
The trail starts east - northeast for a little bit and is pretty easy to follow. It eventually runs into a terrace which was carved by the CCC in the 1930's to prevent erosion. The terrace heads north - northeast and was a sharp left from the four wheel drive trail I was just on. The terrace made for easy hiking on a steady uphill grade, but nothing overwhelming.
At about 8800 feet altitude, a cairn and an arrow made with rocks stand in the middle of the terrace apparently to mark the place to turn east off the terrace and start up the hill. I followed the arrow and left the terrace, but didn’t see anything that remotely resembled a trail so I went back to the terrace and continued on for about 60 more yards. Sensing that I needed to start heading east, up the mountain, I decided to leave the terrace here since it appeared that other people had done the same in the past.
Still, even at this point there was no apparent trail. It was pretty obvious where I needed to go to gain the west ridge, so I decided to try my first attempt at bushwhacking. It was pretty easy to navigate my way through aspen trees and other shrubs as it was still pretty early in the season and the bushes and shrubs hadn’t grown very big yet.
At about 9300 feet, I found the trail again. This gave me peace of mind knowing I was going the right way, despite the fact the trail let me straight up hill at an insane grade. This is how the rest of the climb would be - straight up the west ridge of the Provo Peak. This trail made the "Y" trail look like a piece of cake. There were, however, several small break off trails that all seemed to reconnect a few yards later.
As I approached the summit, the wind started gusting so I took my hat off, stuffed some large rocks in it and left it on the trail to pick up on the way down. At this point also, my hands were just about numb as the temperature was dropping and clouds were rolling in. I knew I better hurry before the weather really started to deteriorate.
I reached the summit about an hour and a half after leaving my car. Unfortunately because of the clouds blowing in, the views of Timpanogos and other mountains were obscured. Actually seeing the clouds blow by me was quite a scary sight. They were moving fast and although obviously they wouldn’t hurt, the velocity at which they blew by my face was a little unnerving. It also started to sprinkle. So I grabbed my camera, snapped a few pictures, signed the logbook which was stowed under a pile of rocks at the summit, and hurried down the mountain.
It started raining hard for a few seconds which made me a little uneasy as the down-climb was very steep and I was nervous as to the condition of the road since my pathfinder is only a 2 wheel drive.
I ended up losing the trail again at the same spot that I picked it up on the way up, but accidently ended up taking the same route down as I did up, judging from spotting a couple of my footprints going up the Peak.
I made it back to my pathfinder and started the bumpy trek back. The longest part of the whole trip was having to wait four hours while construction crews worked on the Road. I guess there are worse places to be stranded, but I was too worn out to do any more exploring.
My original plan was to also climb to East Provo Peak but because of the deteriorating conditions and the steepness of the down climb to get over to the peak, I decided not to make the attempt. I was caught a little unprepared on this hike, as I didn’t expect the temperature to be so cold at the summit.

No comments:

Post a Comment